Monday, January 21, 2013

21 Day Whole Living Cleanse Diet

I have never done a "cleanse" diet before.  I am turned off by the idea of eating strange food combinations, taking supplements, or drinking strange concoctions that make you go to the bathroom a lot.  This cleanse is different though, and that is why I agreed to try it with my mom.  I am 1/3 of the way through and I am glad I am doing it!  It is from the Whole Living website, which is a Martha Stewart production.  When my mom asked me if I wanted to do it, I knew that I have been wanting to try reducing the amount of sugar I eat, so I decided it would be a good jump start into that.  The first week was HARD, but I am glad I did it.  It was especially hard to make and serve food for Ryan and the girls that I was supposed to be avoiding.  I think I should get some bonus points for that! 

The whole idea of the cleanse is to rid your body of all the toxins found in processed food and to give your digestive system a break from dairy and gluten consumption.  Here is a breakdown of how it works:

Week 1:
Only eat fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, oils, and seasonings. (I did the 2012 version.  The 2013 version also includes legumes at this stage).

Week 2:
Add back in fish, beans, legumes, and gluten-free grains.

Week 3:
Add back in organic soy and eggs.

So, the entire time, you don't eat sugar, gluten or dairy. You also don't consume caffeine, soda, alcohol, etc. 

Here is how I was feeling during week 1:
Day 1: The first day I felt so hungry.  I ate a LOT of food, but never felt satisfied.  I felt tired a lot too. 
Day 2: The second day I was already feeling better.   Still craving certain foods (sugar, gluten), but I had more energy. 
Days 3-4: These days were the best.  I had lots of energy, was needing less sleep, and my digestive system just felt good.  I feel like my body had adjusted to the new way of eating.  I even thought, "I could just keep eating like this I feel so good!"
Days 5-7:  Still feeling good, but I was about ready to be done with just fruits, veggies, and nuts. 

Yesterday was the first day I introduced beans and fish.  They tasted AWESOME!  I am ready to finish the rest of the cleanse, but I did cheat a little last night and eat some banana bread and a little serving of homemade ice cream.  I know that is breaking the idea of the cleanse, but I just wanted a little something after that first week of eating so stringently.  Plus, desserts in moderation are my end goal anyway, and that is what I accomplished this week! 

I should mention, the plan gives you an eating plan with recipes for every meal of the day.  I have used some of them, and also come up with my own ideas.  I wanted to make things that everyone else would want to eat too.

I will post again after I am completely finished to share how if I am feeling any different/better.  I am curious to see how my body will react when I add back in dairy and gluten.  If you decide to try this, let me know!  I would love to hear how it is going for you!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so proud of you for doing so well on this, especially having to also cook for your family! I did it perfectly last week, no cheating except for some popcorn and diet coke at the movies, and a bite of dark chocolate. It was a lot of work to prepare the recipes, and a little frustrating when Daddy and Betsy would gobble up "my" foods on top of everything else they were also eating. But I was glad they were enjoying the recipes, too. They want to start eating more like this all the time. So do I. I am enjoying being back on fish, all legumes, brown rice, oats, and quinoa this week, and am feeling more satisfied now. (2013's first week allows lentils, but not other legumes.) This week is hard because I am in Texas with my dad, and he eats mostly ONLY the things I can't have, and goes to the Tech Cafe where they don't have much in the way of fruits and vegetables or fish and legumes. The day I arrived I was starving, and the only thing in the house was sandwich stuff, so I had to break down and eat a sandwich. But I went to the store last night and stocked up, and now I am back on track. I really love the way I feel on this food plan. I am impressed that you made salmon. Though we eat it often, I have never made it myself, as Daddy always grills it. Thank yo u for doing this with me! Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, how did you prepare your salmon? and btw, on this cleanse my poop is orange and purple. sweet potatoes, carrots, and beets. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, isn't it? Happens to me too. I just bake it in the oven at 400 degrees. I put salt, pepper, and sometimes drizzle some olive oil on it if it looks less fatty.

      Delete