Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sophie is 2 and 1/2!

Time is flying by around here, and Sophie just went in for her 2 and 1/2 year old well visit.  Hard to believe how much she is growing.  In fact, she shot up from the 33rd percentile in height to the 64th!  Her weight has gone up from the 22nd percentile to the 33rd!  We are so thankful for her good health, growth, and development.  Sophie usually hates going to the doctor, thanks to a bout with RSV a year and a half ago.  The daily suctioning experience has traumatized her for life, I do believe.  She started crying as soon as the nurse started to take us back to the room.  Thankfully, there were no shots this time, and she actually was quiet (although unsure) during the doctor's exam so that the doctor could hear her heart and breathing. 

Sophie has made leaps and bounds since her last checkup in the areas of eating and language development.   She is now the "better eater" of my two girls, and will try most new foods.  Her favorites are green beans, broccoli (which she pronounces in Spanish as bi- gote), strawberries, grapefruit, and grapes. I am not sure why, but I feel so proud of my girls when they eat fruits and vegetable well and actually ASK for them!  I guess I thought getting them to eat good food would be a challenge, but I haven't had to put forth a whole lot of effort.  One thing that has been key in this, I believe, is having two different palates to please at once.  For example, Sophie never liked peas, but Sally loves them.  I would always offer Sophie a few peas when I gave them to Sally, and one day, she decided to try them!  Now, she eats peas, although they are probably not her favorite.  The reverse has worked in getting Sally to eat certain foods.  It just goes to show that if you keep offering something (which I probably wouldn't have done if I just had one kid to feed), even if they don't like it at first, eventually, they will probably try it. 

Sophie still has a speech pathologist come twice a month to help with her language development, and she is using a TON of words now.  The size of her vocabulary wasn't ever really a big issue, it was more getting her to use short sentences and a variety of verbs.  Her go-to phrase was "It's a ____," which could mean she wants something, sees something, doesn't want something, hears something, etc.  Now she still uses that phrase, but she is branching out and using a lot more verbs and 2-3 word sentences.  Sally is picking up on all the things we are trying to get Sophie to learn, and her language capabilities are amazing to me!  I guess that's how it goes when you have an older sibling.

Sophie's personality is so cute.  She is usually pretty quiet and reserved around new people and places, but don't let that fool you into thinking she is a quiet, docile, compliant kind of kid.  She knows what she wants and is very independent and strong-willed.  She loves to feed herself with utensils and copy all the activities she sees us doing.  She loves to go outside and swing or go on walks, but her favorite outdoor activity is just to squat down and dig in the dirt.  She loves to read books, and I think she could do that for an hour before bed if we would keep reading.  She is easy to take places and is pretty content sitting and watching what is going on around her (whereas Sally hates to sit still and wants to roam around and get into everything when we go somewhere). She loves to sing, and knows all the words to Twinkle, twinkle little star and Jesus loves me.  She will sing the songs out LOUD in her bed when she is laying down for her nap.  At night, she likes to "pray" and repeats the words I say back to me.  It usually goes like this: "Dear Jesus, thank you for my family.  For mommy, daddy, Sally, abuelo and abuela, and grandma and grandpa.  Please help me sleep well.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

She is such a joy!  Right now she is actually pretty sick, which breaks my heart.  She has been waking up with a high fever the past few nights.  The only way she likes to sleep is to lay across my body with her head on my chest, just like she did as a tiny baby in the NICU.  I hate that she is sick, but love that she wants to cuddle!  Pray for her to feel better soon!


1 comment:

  1. so proud of her and thankful to God for her life and development! And proud of you and Ryan, too, for all your persistent, hard work in getting her to this place of being so healthy and happy! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete